What Is the Power and Purpose of Our Gender?
“In science the female chromosome is symbolized by an ‘X’ and the female gender is determined by a gene with a pair of X’s (XX). The male gene contains one “X” and another chromosome symbolized by the letter ‘Y” (XY). To me this symbolically demonstrates men have a ‘feminine side’ but women are the feminine. As more women give voice to their experience – physically, psychology, emotionally, and spiritually – we will have a more authentic picture of the power and purpose of our gender.” ( The ABC Path toward True Wisdom, P.151)*
We currently live in a culture that has been defined by men. What we know about women is through men’s interpretation based on their experience of the women in their lives.
- Men were the scientists – they did the research and interpreted it based on their understanding that females were simply smaller versions of males, so they only used male subjects in research until 1980.
- Men were the spiritual leaders – they wrote (or transcribed) the holy texts from their understanding of the spiritual experience as men.
- Men were the ones that authored and published all printed material, and produced and directed all media, defining the human experience from their point of view.
- Even the term “men” was used as the universal term for both genders. We still hear men and women say “Hey guys!” when addressing a group of women!
“As women our purpose is different, our power is different, and our journey is different from men’s and only we know the true story.” (P.152)
Questions for Circle Discussion:
- What does feminine power mean to you?
- How is feminine power different from masculine power?
About the questions for Circle discussion:
When looking at what feminine power means to you, consider these questions. When do you feel in your power as a woman? How would you describe that feeling? What qualities or characteristics emerge for you as feminine power? What women, past or present, represent true feminine power for you?
Only women can define true feminine power. There is no one perspective. Each woman will have a meaningful voice in naming feminine power from the truth of her experience. When women speak from the heart of their personal story, the real truth of feminine power as women know it will emerge.
To get the most from your Circle gathering, read the Circle Guidelines.
*The chapter reference for this Wisdom of the Feminine theme is from The ABC Path toward True Wisdom: A Woman’s Guide to Trusting What She Knows in Her Heart Is True, “X-Rayed X’s”, p. 151-155.
Permission to reproduce this post in it’s entirety is granted for use in privately hosted women’s circles and non-profit programs only.
For use in for-profit women’s circles and programs, written permission is required to reproduce any portion of this post.
©2018 Teresa Lampmann